PLEASE NOTE: Beginning October 15, all visitors age 12 or older must provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID test from within 72 hours to attend an event or program at the Speed, including Speed Cinema Screenings. Proof of vaccination is not currently required for general admission to the Museum or its exhibitions. CLICK HERE for details.
In-person After Hours at the Speed is BACK! Get in the spirit for Supernatural America: The Paranormal in American Art with a spooky, paranormal night at the Museum, fun for the whole family. Featuring:
- 6 – 7 pm | “Witches and Goblins and Ghosts – Oh My! The Supernatural in American Art” in the Atrium. Just in time for Halloween, Dr. Graham C. Boettcher, The R. Hugh Daniel Director of the Birmingham Museum Art, investigates the topic of the supernatural in American art. What draws artists to subjects that defy both nature and science? How have artists depicted the eerie and inexplicable through American history? Explore the answers to these questions and more in this richly illustrated talk.
- 6 – 9 pm | Tarot Card Readings with Amanda Conkin and Shannon Karol in the English Renaissance Room
- 7:15 – 8 pm | Performance from Poetry Is: A Sound Experience. Poetry Is: A Sound Experience combines live, improvisational poetry, music, and movement to create unique and immersive arts performances in the Louisville area. Our collective, rooted in community building, believes in the transformative and ecstatic power of art. We invite you to join us in the performance hall as we explore the supernatural, occult, and magical in honor of Speed’s new exhibition, Supernatural America!
- 7:30 – 9:30 | How Aura You Feeling? artmaking activity in the Atrium
- 8:30 – 9 pm | Scorpio Rising screening in the Speed Cinema
- 8 pm | Tour of Supernatural America with curator Erika Holmquist-Wall
- 9 pm | Tarot Card Tour of the permanent collection with Director of Education Shannon Karol
- 9 – 9:45 pm | Music performance from Okapi in the Grand Hall
Every third Friday, the Museum will be once again be open until 10 pm. Each After Hours event comes alive with an eclectic mix of music, performances, cash bar + food available by Wiltshire at the Speed, and of course art! Come experience the Speed after hours like you’ve never experienced it before. More details coming soon!