Looking for ways to get involved? Become a Speed Art Museum volunteer! By devoting their time and talents, our dedicated volunteers play a critical role in assisting with Museum programs, gallery activities, exhibitions and special events.
Individuals who commit to a year-long volunteer role will be eligible for a complimentary Volunteer Membership at the Speed! Benefits include free admission to the Museum, discounts at the Museum Store, free/discounted tickets to Museum programs, and more!
Evening hours are back at the Speed! On the third Friday of every month, the Museum stays open until 10 pm. Each After Hours event comes alive with an eclectic mix of music, performances, cash bar + food available by Wiltshire at the Speed, and of course art! We have had tremendous community response to this event series. We have received more than 1000 guests at each of the monthly events!! We NEED your help to make these events the best possible.
Available volunteer opportunities during the event include the following:
Coat Check (4 volunteers needed)
Special Events Attendant (4 volunteers needed)
Gallery Volunteer (2 volunteers needed)
Cinema Usher (2 volunteers needed)
The volunteer shifts are scheduled between 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm on each third Friday during After Hours. The shifts are 3-4 hours each depending on the different opportunities. You will receive free admission to the After Hours event.
We are looking for volunteers with people skills and are comfortable working with crowds. We have upwards of 1000 guests in the museum during these monthly events.
Availability needed: Ongoing
Volunteers serve up to: 4 hours Monthly
Minimum age: 16
Art Sparks volunteers support visitors learning about art through interactive exhibits in the Speed’s Art Sparks gallery. The recently renovated Art Sparks features 15 exhibits that encourage visitors of all ages to explore, discuss, and create art.
Primary Responsibilities include:
Welcoming visitors to Art Sparks and directing them to appropriate activities; supporting visitor learning by providing explanations of the purpose and function of Art Sparks and the various exhibits; providing support for Art Sparks staff by assisting with the set-up and upkeep of exhibits.
Ideal Art Sparks volunteer candidates possess the ability to work with families, students, and visitors of all ages in a patient and friendly manner. The willingness to help with a wide variety of tasks such as cleaning, cutting paper, or organizing materials is necessary. Must be comfortable working in both a slow-paced and fast-past environment. Art Sparks volunteers must be punctual and reliable.
Art Sparks Volunteer Training includes an overview of the space given by an Art Sparks staff member, and review of the Art Sparks Manual. On-the-job training is continuous.
Minimum age: 16
Part of the expansion of the new Speed Art Museum, and one of the newest attractions, is the 142-seat Cinema, equipped with state-of-the-art technology, including 16mm, 35mm and 4K digital projection systems.
A diverse mix of independent and international art house films are screened on Friday and Saturday evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Thursday evenings will include an eclectic mix of film restorations, experimental cinema, and programming relating to exhibitions.
Duties of Cinema Volunteers Include:
• Act as ticket takers and pass out programs
• Count patrons as they enter the auditorium
• Help with seating patrons for sold-out events
• Assist the box office staff in handling will call and/or assist in the distribution of free tickets to Speed members (Staff supervised)
Qualifications: Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Interest in art and cinema is encouraged
• Good oral communication skills
• Eagerness to learn
• Flexibility regarding scheduling
Volunteers will be trained by staff or experienced volunteers during their first shift. Additional training with Speed staff will be provided as needed.
• Transportation necessary
• Depending on need, ability to stand or sit for a few hours may be required
Minimum age: 16*
*Volunteers between the age of 16-17 years of age may not be able to volunteer for all films due to MPAA ratings and content.
Coat Check Volunteers manages the coat check area in the lobby.
Primary duties include:
• Receive items from guests such as coats, backpacks, umbrellas and water bottles; store all such items inside coat check area in an orderly fashion. Pass out numbered tags to ensure guests retrieve their correct items later.
• Register guests who want to use the museum’s wheelchairs and strollers. Demonstrate the correct operation of wheelchairs and strollers to guests. Safely stow wheelchairs and strollers once they are returned. Wheelchair and stroller training will be provided.
• Assisting guests with directions inside the museum
Qualifications: Ideal coat check volunteers are friendly, social, and proactive. The volunteer must be comfortable with reaching, bending and lifting to 20 lbs. Knowledge of the Speed’s collections, surroundings, and orientation are very helpful in this role.
• Coat Check Volunteer shifts are available monthly during Friday After Hours: 5-8 pm or 7-10:30 pm
• Weekend shifts: Saturdays from 9:45 am-1:45 pm, and Sunday from 11:45 am-3:45 pm or 1:15 pm – 5:15 pm.
• Exceptions and special event shifts will also be posted as events are finalized.
Availability needed: Ongoing
*Special consideration will be given to volunteers working toward a complimentary Volunteer Membership.
Minimum age: 16
Volunteers needed during special events such as Friday After Hours. Volunteer will help security by posting close to gallery entrances to stop food and drinks being brought into galleries and will also perform greeting and way-finding duties.
The ideal volunteers for this assignment will be friendly and courteous. Must be comfortable working with large crowds. Must be able to stand or sit for intervals over 3-4 hour shifts. Knowledge of museum layout is very helpful.
Minimum age: 16
The Speed Art Museum is looking for volunteers to assist with our Spring Break Camps running from April 1, 2019 through April 5, 2019; as well as our weekly Summer Camps from June 17, 2019 through August 2, 2019.
Volunteers will assist with preparation of materials for camp activities, supervision of campers, post-activity cleanup, and other tasks as assigned by the camp’s Teaching Artist. Camps involve both indoor and outdoor activities. Speed staff will be present at all camps.
We would like to schedule volunteers who are available for the entire weekly camp; either the morning shifts or afternoon shifts. Morning shifts are 8 am to 12 pm; afternoon shifts are 1 pm to 5 pm.
Check out the Speed Camp descriptions here.
The ideal Camp Volunteer will have:
-great interpersonal skills
-experience working with children ages 6-9yro
-a love of art and museums in general
April 1 – 5, 2019 and June 17 – August 2, 2019
Volunteers serve up to 20 hours weekly
Must be at least 16 years old and pass a background check.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Volunteer Event Photographers donate their time and talent to the Speed Art Museum by photographing special events. The photographer will have the ability to think strategically and creatively to capture the mood and feeling of events. Images taken could be used in museum-produced pieces such as our social media, community newspapers and marketing brochures. Speed staff will assist in guiding the volunteer regarding what and who should be photographed.
* Must own DSLR camera and equipment.
* Able to produce professional looking photos with high resolution.
* Must be experienced with Photoshop or other photo editing software.
* Must follow copyright rules and gallery rules regarding exhibition materials.
* Work in an open space environment and may need to walk and stand for intervals within a 2-4-hour shift.
* The ability to work independently and to be diplomatic and attentive is required.
* Great people skills, organizational skills and the ability to maintain a calm, courteous and professional demeanor are key elements of success for this assignment.
Length of Assignment:
On an as needed basis depending on event. Typical shifts are 2-4 hours each. Speed staff will contact volunteer for availability prior to event.
Minimum age: 18