Wallace, Lithgow, and Company
American, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky
Bench, 1850 – 1870
33 3/4 × 55 × 20 5/8 in. (85.7 × 139.7 × 52.4 cm.)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Gathright, Mrs. Mary Louise Barr, Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Kulp Jr.,
Adele and Leonard Leight, Mrs. S. Rayburn Watkins, Mr. and Mrs. Carl T. Fischer Jr., Mr. and Mrs.
S. Gordon Dabney, Ms. Mary S. Sachs, Mr. John S. Speed, Shelly Zegart, Ms. Sally Abell, Dr.
Virginia T. Keeney, Mr. and Mrs. George Partlow, Mr. Herbert Redmon, Ms. Patricia M. Varga, and
the Decorative Arts Collectors 2008.2
Imagine the window frames of a Gothic cathedral, some pointed, others round, and some divided into clover-leaf shapes. Those elements were translated into this garden bench. Its design was a transatlantic favorite, popular in England and made by several United States foundries including Louisville’s Wallace Lithgow and Company. Established in 1836, the company’s name appears on the bench’s top rail.