“An incredible array of beautiful, funny, insightful, inspiring, powerful and thought-provoking.” —Jennifer Wolfe, Animation World Network
The Animation Show of Shows returns to Speed Cinema this fall with sixteen exceptional and inspiring animated shorts from around the world. At a time of increasing social instability and global anxiety about a range of issues, the works in this year’s show have a special resonance, presenting compelling ideas about our place in society and how we fit into the world. At times hilarious, moving, engaging, and thought-provoking, The Animation Show of Shows not only has something for everyone, but is a remarkable and insightful microcosm of our world.
The selections include the extraordinary stop-motion musical My Burden from Swedish director Niki Lindroth von Bahr, which won the grand-prize Cristal Award at the 2017 Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Other program highlights include Los Angeles-based Irish director David O’Reilly’s visually stunning Everything, based on a 1973 talk given by the renowned British-American philosopher Alan Watts, and the 1964 classic Hangman, by Paul Julian and Les Goldman which was recently restored by The Animation Show of Shows as part of its film preservation program.
As a special treat, the Show of Shows will also be presenting Next Door, a 1990 student film made at Cal Arts by the two-time Oscar-winning Pixar director Pete Docter.
The 16 animated short films presented in order of appearance
- Can You Do It—Quentin Baillieux, France
- Tiny Big—Lia Bertels, Belgium
- Next Door—Pete Docter, U.S.
- The Alan Dimension—Jac Clinch, UK
- Beautiful Like Elsewhere—Elise Simard, Canada
- Hangman—Paul Julian and Les Goldman, US
- The Battle of San Romano—Georges Schwizgebel, Switzerland
- Gokurosama—Clémentine Frère, Aurore Gal, Yukiko Meignien, Anna Mertz, Robin Migliorelli, Romain Salvini, France
- Dear Basketball—Glen Keane, US
- Island—Max Mörtl and Robert Löbel, Germany
- Unsatisfying—Parallel Studio, France
- My Burden—Niki Lindroth von Bahr, Sweden
- Les Abeilles Domestiques (Domestic Bees)—Alexanne Desrosiers, Canada
- Our Wonderful Nature: The Common Chameleon—Tomer Eshed, Germany
- Casino—Steven Woloshen, Canada
- Everything—David O’Reilly, US
2017, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Sweden, Switzerland and U.S., in English, French, German, and Swedish with English subtitles, 92 minutes. Recommended for 13+.
$7 members / $9 non-members